Wednesday 30 December 2015

December Wrap-up!




Hello booklovers, 

As we are nearing the end of the year, I would like to share my December wrap-up with you.

While December was quite a busy month, even though half of it was spent eating nice food, wrapping and unwrapping gifts, and celebrating Christmas, I managed to read more than during an average reading month. 

In comparing myself to others, I've noticed I'm quite a slow reader most of the time. Unless a book is really gripping and its story consumes me completely, I tend to take longer than most to finish my book. This usually means I read about 4, maybe 5, books a month. This month I read 7. 
 Okay, okay, I know one of them was only 50 pages long, but I think I did well!

Now, without further ado, here's my December Wrap-up!





                                                          Look at it! It's so colourful!


The books are in the order I read them in, so as you can see, I started the month off wanting to feel festive. This made me pick up Christmas with Billy and Me, by Giovanna Fletcher. It was a lovely, christmassy read, and it was nice to go back to the characters I'd grown to love while I was reading the novel, Billy and Me.

I then went on to read Frostbite, the second instalment in the Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead. These books are a roller coaster ride, but man, they're fun! I'd been wanting to read about Vampires again, and after reading reviews on GoodReads, I decided to go with the VA series. I currently own 4 (or actually 5) out of 6, so I look forward to reading the rest of them.

Up next was Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Now of course, I'd heard tons about this. Everyone on Booktube and Bookstagram seemed to have read it way before I'd even bought it. Finally I caved. I gave this as an early Christmas present to myself because yes, I am thát person. Well what can I say? I adored this. So much! I immediately wanted to reread it (which I didn't but still... I wanted to, and that counts for something!).

Then I read the BFG by Roald Dahl. Of course because I loved the 1989 animated film, and also because there's a movie coming out next year, I believe. But mostly because my students are reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory over Christmas break, and this sparked my need for a Roald Dahl book. Remembering how I loved watching the BFG as a child, I decided on this one.

After that I read Dream a Little Dream, also by Giovanna Fletcher. Mostly because I wanted to read it so I could then read Dream a Little Christmas Dream just before Christmas. It never got to that though. I didn't like this novel as much as I had liked Billy and Me, and therefore I decided on leaving DALCD for another time. It really saddened me to dislike a book by someone I love so much, but we can't like every book out there, now can we?

The next book I read because I decided I wanted to get to know the Grisha world before I read Six of Crows. I'm so glad I did because I loved Shadow and Bone (by Leigh Bardugo). I'm starting to understand why everyone always mentions the Darkling as their favourite villain!

Lastly, I read Soundless by Richelle Mead. It was the Perustopia book of the month (hosted by booktubers Regan (PeruseProject) and Sasha (abookutopia)), and I felt like joining the reading party.  Soundless is a standalone, and a short one at that, but I still really enjoyed it. Of course, the characters aren't as developed as in a trilogy or series, and the world building wasn't amazing, but it was all good enough. This is a 266-page book, and for such a short, quick read, it's certainly good enough.

This was my reading month. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. :)


What books did you read this month?
Have you read any of these books? What did you think?


Love,

Sharon

2 comments:

  1. Hmm.. Thanks to you, I might want to read the Vampire Academy books too... Maybe in 2016! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! They're so much fun, even though they're a bit ridiculous and over the top sometimes, I really enjoy reading them :)

      Delete