Wednesday 2 November 2016

October Wrap-up

It's November already! I can barely believe it, even though I don't really mind that the year is going by so quickly. I don't know about you guys, but so far I'm not too fond of 2016. However, I am happy with my reading this year! I have read 55 books so far, and my reading goal was 40!! I read 8 things in October, so let's just jump right in!

 A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir
As I have mentioned a billion times before, and I am about to do so again, An Ember in the Ashes was my favourite book of 2015. This book had a lot to live up to, and it did and it didn't.
I thought the writing in Ember was beautiful, but in this it was lacking. I partially listened to the audiobook, which was why I noticed that there was an awful lot of "(insert name) said". Just that. They didn't whisper, state, scream, shout, call, whatever. Just said. And that's one thing that put me off a bit. It was a good book all in all; it sets things up nicely for future novels. But I was looking forward to that same feeling and magic I felt when I read Ember, which is unfair to Torch, because it is of course a different book. But because I didn't completely feel that, I ended up giving it 4/4.5 stars instead of 5.

Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater
Holy crap, I love this series! I'm listening to the audiobooks, whilst sometimes reading along if I have the book with me. I do this because the books are a little slow at times, and I get slumpy really quickly. I don't have that problem with the audiobooks, and besides that, Will Patton is amazing! I really recommend listening to the books!
This third book is definitely my favourite so far. I completely get why people are so loving about these books! Why they call the writing poetic; it really is, it's beautiful! I am currently listening to The Raven King, and I am so excited and so scared to find out how things end. By some miracle, I haven't been spoiled yet, so I have no clue what to expect!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
A few weeks ago I was browsing the shelves at the bookstore when I saw this novel. I had heard a lot about it, so I was hoping to read the creepy, confusing novel others talked about. Instead I got a lot of slut-shaming, and worse: insta-love. This 'romance' was the creepiest part of this whole book. Imagine a guy constantly stalking you, calling your phone when you haven't given him your number, saying things like: just tell me where you live, you know I can find out easily (not his exact words, but they were along those lines). He also doesn't ask her out, but just states that it should happen. She says no, awkward and creepy scene happens, and then she swoons and kisses him. I'm not on board with this at all, and I was so annoyed while reading this.

The Witches by Roald Dahl
Again, an audiobook read listen. It was wonderful! This audiobook uses background sounds, so when the story is like "The door closed", you hear the sound of a door close in the background. I really appreciated that, it's so immersive for a childrens' book.
I had never read The Witches before, even though I grew up other Roald Dahl books. This was a great, light October read. Perfect for Halloween-loving kids of all ages!

Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat
I did a full review on this one, so if you'd like to know what I thought about this, you can read that here. In short: I purchased this after hearing Whitney (WhittyNovels) talk about the next two books in the trilogy. Well I had to think about it first, but I decided to give it a try. I ended up liking it, and I want to continue with the next book. 

Dash and Lily's book of dares
I needed a cute little contemporary because I'd been reading some heavy things (Captive Prince and I am studying for an exam on the British Empire, and you know, that stuff's heavy!). I just needed a little pick-me-up. And it was just that! I didn't know that the story took place around Christmas time, but I just really liked that even more; I love Christmas! This wasn't an amazing work of literature, but it was good, and exactly what I wanted from it. 

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
On the last day of October, I read and finished A Monster Calls. This story was so beautiful and heartbreaking, that I don't really have any more words for it. I think it's a must-read. The illustrations by Jim Kay, who also does the new Harry Potter books, are also stunning!

I also read the 5th manga in the Death Note series. I love it so much, even though this one took a different turn and I'm not too sure about that. Fortunately, I still enjoyed it and will be continuing the series.

That's my wrap-up for the month of October! As you can see, I finished 8 things, from novels, to mangas and audiobooks. It was a good reading month, even if I didn't love everything I read!

I hope you all read some lovely books! I'd love to know what you read, and what you thought about it!

Thank you all for reading!
Until next time,


Love,

Sharon



No comments:

Post a Comment