Monday 1 February 2016

January Wrap-up

Happy first day of February everyone,

Today I will share with you my January Wrap-up. I will show you the books I read and what I thought of them, and whether I was able to finish my TBR or not!

Let's see what books I read first!


So in the month of January I read 7 books in total! It's safe to say that this has been a great reading month for me. I'm quite a slow reader, so 7 books is fantastic :) Especially considering I also had exams and stuff! My GoodReads goal for this year is 40 books, so 7 books read means I'm 18% done with that, and 4 books ahead of schedule.

The books I read in January 2016:
Winter - Marissa Meyer  > 4.5 stars
Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli  > 5 stars
Rebel Spring - Morgan Rhodes  > 5 stars
City of Fallen Angels - Cassandra Clare  > 3 stars
The Extraordinary Journey of the Fakir who got Trapped in an Ikea Wardrobe - Romain PuĂ©rtolas  > 3.5 stars
Matilda - Roald Dahl  > 4 stars
Siege and Storm - Leigh Bardugo  > 4 stars

The first book I read this year was Winter by Marissa Meyer. This was the main book on my TBR for this month. I loved the Lunar Chronicles, and Cress was my favourite, but this book was a bit too long for my liking. I felt that some bits could've been shorter, but oh well, it was still a wonderful ending to this series.

After Winter, I was in the mood for something cute and light-hearted, and also just something that wasn't 800+ pages! I'd read that Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda is really cute novel, so I picked that one. And boy, it was cute. I absolutely loved this. This book made me smile so much and it just made me happy. 10/10 would recommend to anyone.

The third book was another TBR book: Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes. This was also part of my challenge! "A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't.: Rebel Spring." I adore this series! It's one of my favourites at the moment. I want to continue reading it, but I also want to wait a little so the wait until Crystal Storms isn't as long!

After Shadowhunters the TV show premiered, I did what pretty much everyone on my Instagram feed did: I read a Shadowhunters novel. I decided to pick up where I'd left off last year, which was book 4 in the Mortal Instruments series. These books are somewhat enjoyable to me, but sadly, Clary really annoys me. And so does Clace.. I will continue this series until I've finished it, but it's definitely not my favourite. (I don't mean to offend anyone)

Next I read The Extraordinary Journey of the Fakir who got Trapped in an Ikea Wardrobe. Man, that's long title. I'd been wanting to read this for a while, but I knew this would be a kind of weird, funny read and so I wanted to feel in the mood for that. This month, I finally read it because I had exams and I needed something ridiculous and funny! And it was just that :) I liked it, even though it was a little racist at times. I read this in one evening,  so I pretty much devoured it haha.

Then I actually started reading Siege and Storm, but it took me a while to get into that. So one morning, I just picked up Matilda, and like most Roald Dahl books, this was easy and fun to read. I read this in one morning, and it was wonderful. I'd read Matilda before, when I was a child, but it was in Dutch. I'd never read the English version, so after my mum gave me Matilda, now was the time!

And then the last book, Siege and Storm. I finished this 2 days ago, so just in time for this wrap-up. I loved Shadow and Bone, but Siege and Storm didn't grab me like the first book did. I still really enjoyed it, and I want to pick up Ruin and Rising as soon as I can. Once I got past the first 160 pages, it started to pick up and the second half was wonderful! I also really recommend this series!
Oh! Technically, this was also part of my Bookish resolutions Challenges because I said I wanted to read the next instalment in a series I was already reading, and this one counts!


Okay, so about my TBR... No I didn't finish all the books I wanted to read. I'd picked Winter, Rebel Spring and Carry On for my January TBR, and I didn't finish Carry On. I did start it however, but I just wasn't in the mood. I decided to stop reading it because I want to give it a fair chance. Reading it while not being in the mood for it, would mean I would definitely not like it, and that's not fair. I will pick it up again later this year.


So that's my wrap-up for this month! On Wednesday, I will show you my February TBR, I've already started reading Truthwitch! Stay tuned for that!


Love,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment