Saturday 6 February 2016

TBR Shame Saturday #5


Hello everyone,

It's time for another TBR Shame Saturday. As always, I will include the synopsis for all the books mentioned, and I will tell you a bit about when and where I purchased them, and why I think I haven't read them yet.

This time, however, I'd like to apologise in advance because not all pictures are ones I took myself. I'm having a tough time right now, and I didn't have time to take the pictures since I wasn't home at all this week.

Anyhow, let's see which books are still on my TBR pile!




The first book this week is Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley. I don't remember exactly where and when I got this, I just know I really wanted it. I'd heard good things about this book, and oh my, look at that cover! It still sounds like a good story to me, but since then I've heard some really mixed reviews. Which is fine, I'm not the pickiest person when it comes to book. I usually like the things I bought, even if I end up reading them a long time after I initially bought them. So it's fine, especially because this isn't the biggest book out there. I'm certain I'll get to this in the near future.

GoodReads synopsis for Magonia:
Aza Ray is drowning in thin air.

Since she was a baby, Aza has suffered from a mysterious lung disease that makes it ever harder for her to breathe, to speak—to live.

So when Aza catches a glimpse of a ship in the sky, her family chalks it up to a cruel side effect of her medication. But Aza doesn't think this is a hallucination. She can hear someone on the ship calling her name.

Only her best friend, Jason, listens. Jason, who’s always been there. Jason, for whom she might have more-than-friendly feelings. But before Aza can consider that thrilling idea, something goes terribly wrong. Aza is lost to our world—and found, by another. Magonia.

Above the clouds, in a land of trading ships, Aza is not the weak and dying thing she was. In Magonia, she can breathe for the first time. Better, she has immense power—and as she navigates her new life, she discovers that war is coming. Magonia and Earth are on the cusp of a reckoning. And in Aza’s hands lies the fate of the whole of humanity—including the boy who loves her. Where do her loyalties lie?


The next book is Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey. Ahh, my first ever cover-buy. Whilst I was in Leicester, last Summer, with my friend Bo, we of course went book shopping too! I decided that would be the perfect time to just buy a book with a nice cover, while completely ignoring its content. Turns out this is a book about ghosts. I'm not good with ghosts. I don't like them. But I will read this someday. It'll be Halloween again soon enough right?

GoodReads synopsis for Haunting Violet:
Violet Willoughby doesn't believe in ghosts. But they believe in her. After spending years participating in her mother's elaborate ruse as a fraudulent medium, Violet is about as skeptical as they come in all matters supernatural. Now that she is being visited by a very persistent ghost, one who suffered a violent death, Violet can no longer ignore her unique ability. She must figure out what this ghost is trying to communicate, and quickly because the killer is still on the loose.

Afraid of ruining her chance to escape her mother's scheming through an advantageous marriage, Violet must keep her ability secret. The only person who can help her is Colin, a friend she's known since childhood, and whom she has grown to love. He understands the true Violet, but helping her on this path means they might never be together. Can Violet find a way to help this ghost without ruining her own chance at a future free of lies?


And the last book for now is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. I purchased this one almost 2 years ago because I always want to read more classics. Sadly, it's literally just that: I want to read more classics... but it never actually happens. I find them so intimidating, so I never actually pick them up even though I kind of really want to! I know, it's stupid. I quite recently bought Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen because it's a lot less intimidating, so maybe that'll be the start of me actually reading classics, instead of just having them on my shelves.

GoodReads synopsis for Jane Eyre:
Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead, subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than Victorian society traditionally allowed.

With a heroine full of yearning, the dangerous secrets she encounters, and the choices she finally makes, Charlotte Bronte's innovative and enduring romantic novel continues to engage and provoke readers.



That's it for this week. Next week, I will show you some more TBR shame books!


Love,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment