Saturday 26 March 2016

March book haul

Hey everyone,

To be honest, I didn't expect to be able to do a book haul this month because I was on a roll with not buying books. But a few days ago, I just really felt like buying a few books I'd been thinking about for a while now. In a way that makes it okay to me because I didn't just buy these on a whim; I'd been thinking about getting these for a while, but I either had some doubts or just wanted to wait. This haul is still pretty small however, I didn't want to buy tons of books because I have 'enough'.

Anyway, let's see which books I got.


The first book is part of a two-book purchase, and it's The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan and Maureen Johnson. Recently, I've been more into the Shadow world than before. I think it's because of the Shadowhunters TV show, which I am actually starting to really enjoy. I've always liked Magnus as a character in all of the books, so I finally decided to buy this after months of thinking about it.

The second half of that same purchase is A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. A few months ago, I saw The Book of Life in my local book store. I liked the cover and immediately typed in the title on GoodReads. I always do this, even before reading the synopsis on the back because a book could be a sequel and it could potentially spoil you! And sure enough, the book I saw was the final book in a trilogy and I couldn't find the first book anywhere. Eventually, I went online and found the first book, A Discovery of Witches, and it sounds so good! Sadly, the only edition I could find was the mass market paperback, but I kind of just want to try this book out. I haven't read anything by this author and I haven't heard a lot about this series even though it's been out a while. In case I really like this, I will have to search the internet for a different edition, even though the cover is really pretty in my opinion.

The next book in this little haul is Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard. Okay, let's see, where do I start. When I first read Red Queen in February of last year, I was so into it, but then I hadn't read that many YA fantasy novels, and so I loved that book. Having read many more now, by many different authors, I can see why there were so many mixed reviews. It's very similar to a lot of other books, and it is pretty trope-y. But I really enjoyed it a year ago, more so than if I'd read it for the first time right now, I think. So when Glass Sword came out, I was pretty hesitant. 'Do I want to read it? Do I want to continue on with a series that isn't 'the greatest', when I have so much to read already? Do I even care about what happens?' All these questions, and for a while the answer to them was 'no'. I didn't care and I didn't want to read it. Until I started seeing it at the book store, and I started hearing and reading more about it. I started thinking about getting it and started reading little bits of it whenever I was at the book store. A few days ago, I decided to just pick it up. It wouldn't leave my mind and I was constantly thinking about how I wanted to read it whenever I looked at my shelves and saw Red Queen sitting there all by itself. So basically, I caved. At first, I really thought I wouldn't end up buying it, and now I still have. But since I am interested in it now, and I did enjoy the previous book, I am sure I'll at least enjoy reading this.

The last book of this haul was super unexpected. I was just at the book store, minding my own business, when BAM! there was The Glittering Court! And it isn't even supposed to be out yet until April 5th! (I bought it on March 24th). I'm so excited for this because the synopsis sounds really interesting and I want to start reading more historical fiction-y type things. I must say, the cover isn't all that great, but I've learnt to let that go when it comes to Richelle's books. Usually, the covers are shit, but the books are great!
That's it. Those are all the books I got this month. I must say I'm pretty happy with this because I really am trying to stop buying so many books.

As you can see, no Lady Midnight for me. I really freaking want it, and I have been seeing it everywhere, but at the moment I own 10 Shadowhunter books, all by the same publisher, in matching editions. To just buy the paperback edition of Lady Midnight that's out now, which is super shiny and about an inch or 2 taller than my other books, that just doesn't feel right. So I will wait, I will read the Bane Chronicles, and perhaps someday the Tales of the Shadowhunter Academy, and then once it's out in the right edition, I will be picking Lady Midnight up as soon as I can.


Thank you for reading and I will be back again soon with a new blogpost!

Love,

Sharon




No comments:

Post a Comment