Thursday 31 March 2016

March Wrap up!

Hey everyone,

It's the end of yet another month. I honestly can't believe how quickly they're going by right now!
Of course, as always, I will be showing you all the books I read in a monthly wrap up.
I read 7 books this month. Again! Fourth month in a row!

Let's see what they are!

(Shatter me isn't in this because I unhauled it.)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - 4 stars
Flour Babies - 2 stars
City of Lost Souls - 3 stars
City of Heavenly Fire - 4 stars
Ruin and Rising - 3.5 stars
Shatter Me - 3 stars
Gathering Darkness - 5 stars

So the first book I read was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and, like I mentioned in my March TBR, this was one of the books I read for my Children's Literature class. Even though I 'had to' read this, I really enjoyed it, and it was really interesting to read from the perspective of a boy with Asperger's. I'd recommend anyone to read this really, as I think this isn't just for teens, boys or girls, or adults. I think anyone can take away something from this story.

The second book I read was also for that same class and it was Flour Babies. I did not like this book, hence the two-star rating. It was really short, which could have been okay, but then it just left me with a weird feeling. Kind of like "What the heck did I just read? What was that?", and I really don't like that. The writing style also was not working for me as there would be these classroom scenes where most of the boys would be talking, but there was just the conversation, never any "said Thomas" or whatever, and that just made it really confusing. I know it was focusing on one boy in particular, and that's fine, but this just left me thinking "wait, who's talking again?", and I don't think a book should be like that.
Then I decided I didn't want to read for school for a bit (which turned into the rest of the month) and I picked up City of Lost Souls. As I'm writing this, it has been a few weeks since I've read this and so my feelings on this book are kind of gone I think. I didn't particularly hate or like this, it was just okay.
But then I read City of Heavenly Fire, and that was so much better than the previous two books. All I can really say is Poor Simon. He was my least favourite character in CoB, and then my favourite in CoHF, and that's really something. This was a great ending to the series! (Also, bring me Lady Midnight, I need it so badly!)

Up next was the last part of the Grisha trilogy, Ruin and Rising. I'm kind of having mixed feelings about this. I really loved Shadow and Bone, and I liked Siege and Storm, and sure I did like Ruin and Rising. But I was really hoping I would love it. Maybe it's because I was spoiled for what happens to the Darkling in the end, but still, I really hoped this would've been amazing and it wasn't to me, it was just okay.
I do not know what to say about the next book I read, which was Shatter Me. I tried reading it a while ago and couldn't get into it because of the crossed out bits and the grammar, but this time around I enjoyed it more. Until I met Warner. I don't know what happens in that novella from his perspective, and how he's been able to redeem himself enough so that people like him, but in this (and to me) he is a giant creep and he says the scariest and rapiest (which isn't a word but man this guy sounds like he's about to rape Julliet) things. I don't think I will continue on with this trilogy, mainly because I have so many other things to read, but also because I don't want to read about someone like him. 

The last book I read was the third book in my favourite series of the moment; Gathering Darkness.
Gosh I love this series so much. It's such an epic fantasy, and the world is amazing! I don't really have the words to explain how much I love this series, so I'm not even going to try and explain or try to convince you to read it. If you like fantasy at all, even just a little bit, pick this up, fall in love, and move to Mytica (or maybe don't, it's pretty terrible there... maybe just read about it).
Let's see how much of my TBR I actually read this month.
I said I would read 6 books this month: Curious Incident, Flour Babies and Peter Pan, for my class, and I obviously didn't read Peter Pan, but that's okay.
Then I said I would read End of Days, the last instalment in the Penryn and the End of Days trilogy, and City of Lost Souls and City of Heavenly Fire, to wrap up the Mortal Instruments series. I didn't read End of Days, but I did finish the TMI series, so I'm happy with that.
And I also read 7 books, instead of 6, even though I didn't read everything on my TBR, I still read a lot, so that's good!


Thank you so much for reading. I will see you again soon with a new blogpost!

Love,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment