Friday 1 January 2016

Bookish Resolutions


Hey everyone,

Today I'd like to share my bookish resolutions for 2016 with you.


1. Read whatever I feel like reading. 
In the past year, I've made TBRs for each month. Did I stick with them? ...No... I really didn't. And that made me feel bad at times. Now don't get me wrong, I still want to make TBRs because they can come in handy, but I don't want to put as much pressure on myself as I did last year. Not sticking to that set stack of books is okay. As long as I read something, right?

2. Try to read as many books that are currently on my TBR shelf.
Obviously, I will still buy books because there are so many amazing ones coming out this year. But I want to focus on the books I already have first. I currently have a TBR Shelf of about 50 or 60 (See? I'm not even sure about that!), and because of that it'd be ridiculous to just buy new books all the time and ignore the ones that are already there. On my TBR I have books like the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, the rest of the Falling Kingdoms series, A Darker Shade of Magic, and Queen of the Tearling, just to name a few. It's ridiculous how many good books I still need to read, but 2016 will be the year I get to that!

3.  Read 40 books.
I realise it doesn't sound like much to many bibliophiles out there, but my goal for the past year was 30 and I read 38 (Not including books read for school). I don't want to set myself a huge number of books to read because that puts so much pressure on something I essentially do for fun. I love reading, and while I do want to challenge myself, I also want to make sure it's still fun to do. Besides, I'd rather read 40 amazing books than 100 books I didn't like as much. Which brings me to my next resolution...

4. DNF a book when I really don't want to continue reading it.
Not that I have a problem with this, but I just want to remind myself that it's okay to give up on a book if you don't enjoy reading it. Why would you waste precious reading time on something you dislike, when you could also go and read something you may love?

5. Finish,  or catch up on, 10 series/trilogies. 
Falling Kingdoms, Penryn and the End of Days, the Lunar Chronicles, the Grisha trilogy. They're all series I started in 2015, but I haven't yet finished them nor am I completely caught up with the books that are currently out. Other trilogies or series on my TBR shelf that I can read for this are: Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Mistborn, The Darkest Minds, Snow like Ashes, Miss Peregrine's, and A Darker Shade of Magic. And when the new releases for some of the ongoing series come out, I could add them to this list as well. This goal will also help me deal with goal number 2.

These are my resolutions for the new year. Alongside these resolutions, I also have 12 challenges that will help my reach these goals. For most of them, I already have a book (or more) in mind to read.


2016 Challenges:
1. A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't.: Rebel Spring.
2. A book from the GoodReads Choice Awards (Winner or Nominated).: A Darker Shade of Magic.
3. A book by an author you discovered in 2015.: Daughter of Smoke and Bone.
4. A book with a title beginning with the first letter of your name.: Snow like Ashes.
5. A classic with less than 300 pages.: Northanger Abbey.
6. A book that was mentioned in another book.: Carry On.
7. A book by an author you feel you should have read by now.: The Final Empire.
8. A book with a beautiful cover.: (I have no idea yet, but literally almost every book on my shelf.)
9. First book in a new series.: Six of Crows.
10. The next book in a series you are reading.: So many can go here. Shadow Kiss, Glass Sword, Siege and Storm, World After, ToG5, A Torch Against the Night.. Any of these.
11. A book everyone is talking about.: We'll see when people start to talk. People are already talking about Passenger, Glass Sword, A Torch Against the Night, and ToG5, and so many more.
12. A book with a beautiful title (in your own opinion).: (Haven't picked this one yet either, but there are so many lovely titles to choose from, so this won't be hard.) 


So that's about it for my resolutions, and my own personal 2016 challenges.
I'd like to know if you have any bookish resolutions? Or do you do challenges throughout the year?


Love,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment