Monday 18 January 2016

My Reading Essentials

Hey everyone,

Today I want to share some of my reading essentials with you: things that I need when I plan on reading for a while. I'm sure anyone who loves to read can relate to this, so I hope you'll enjoy this post.

What you obviously need first is a book! I can just hear you think "Well duh, Captain Obvious", but hey, we've got to start somewhere and this is a 'reading essentials' post after all. I mean, you could use the rest of this post for when you binge-watch Netflix, but we're not about that life. (We are though, we totally are, dang it!)

For me, the best books to read for hours on end are Fantasy books. The ones that first show you a gorgeous map, then suck you into that world, and keep you there for hours and hours. I never really read a book in one sitting, as I don't have the time or concentration for that (sadly). Obviously, sometimes I'll read a contemporary novel, but I personally prefer fantasy. Anyway, the books pictured above are all books that kept me reading for hours at a time.

Next you'll need a comfy place to sit, or even lie down. Personally, I am completely unable to read in any moving vehicle, aside from trains and planes, because of motion sickness, so I prefer a nice chair, comfortable sofa, or best of all, my bed.

Then you'll need to go on a scavenger hunt for pillows. Bring any and all you find lying around the house; the more, the merrier. I love pillows. Usually, there's one or two behind my back, one underneath my book, to rest my arms on, and several scattered around wherever I'm sitting at that time.

Because you'll want to stay in that same position for a while, bring snacks! And tea! When I read, I prefer drinking water or tea, but coffee, hot chocolate, and basically any drink you like will suffice, of course. Snacks are more difficult though. While chocolate is oh so tasty and loved by many of us, it tends to melt between your fingers, so beware of smudges on your baby book. Cookies and sweets are usually my snack of choice. :) Of course, it's best to drink from your bookish mug, it just adds a little something-something.


This last one is really important for me: my iPod. Or when I can use my laptop for this: my laptop! (You didn't see that coming now, did you?) The reason why it's so important is background music or noises. Trust me, I get distracted so ridiculously easily, and it's the worst when you're a reader. So to fully immerse myself in a story, I listen to instrumental background music, and when I'm reading fantasy, I listen to stormy, rainy sounds. That usually fits the mood perfectly. Music with lyrics is still too distracting for me, but works well for others. Whichever you choose, it really helps drown out distracting noises, and, added bonus, people will most likely not try to talk to you!



That's all for today! Stay tuned for a new booktag on Wednesday and a whole new TBR Shame post on Saturday!


Love,

Shron

No comments:

Post a Comment